One cannot cancel a payment sent to anybody through Venmo. However, there are two ways by which you can easily file a money-back request.
If you sent your friend or acquaintance a Venmo payment and they do not have an account, you will have to follow the below steps to ensure you get back your amount.
How to cancel a Venmo Payment I sent?
Step 1. After opening your Venmo app, users will have to tap the three lines present on the left top of the app.
Step 2. Click on incomplete from the option list and track down the unfinished payment you would like to revert. It would be circled in red.
Step 3. The incomplete tab shows you two different sections- payments and requests. All you have to do is tap on payments.
Step 4. If you Venmo your friend using their phone number they will receive a text message from Venmo and if you used an email, they will receive an email message.
Step 5. Even if they don’t have an account, you will have to click on the take-back option.
Step 6. Once you have clicked on the take-back option, your message will turn grey and a message would be displayed to you which would read, “You have canceled the request.”
Step 7. The payment would have disappeared once you open the Venmo app.
If you have sent the amount to the wrong person, you can take the following steps.
Step 1. Click on the draft sign with the pen and the dollar sign after opening the Venmo app.
Step 2. Type the username to whom you wrongly sent the payment.
Step 3. Enter the dollar amount you sent accidentally and also add a note explaining the reason as to how you have sent the amount accidentally.
Step 4. Click on the request tab instead of the Pay tab.
Step 5. Confirm with the green message that appears at the bottom of the screen to confirm your request.
Step 6. You can keep reminding the person by clicking on the remind button and that way, you can remind the person more than once.
Step 7. But if the person still does not return the payments, you can click on the three bars to choose the Get Help button.
Step 8. Now choose Contact Us and then select the mode in which you wish to contact Venmo- email, chat, and Venmo support.
Step 9. Now intimate them with the username, amount, payment date, and email address or phone number of the person.
Also Check:- How much can you Venmo in a day without fee?
How to cancel Venmo Application payment in review?
With the passage of time, Venmo users are growing as this app is becoming popular. Venmo helps in making instant mobile payments and also gives a feature of linking bank accounts so you can link your bank account and use Venmo for payment anywhere, anytime without thinking of funds. There are cases when you make the instant payment but to the wrong person and the payment is in review. Do not worry you can cancel that payment easily.
If a Venmo payment is under review, then you can cancel the payment with these simple steps:
- Open the Venmo app, and click on the three lines on the top right corner of the screen.
- Further, click “Incomplete”
- Next click “Payments” where you can review all the payments that you have done.
- If that account is inactive, or payment is in review and you are able to get the money back click” Take Back”
- A message will pop up for the confirmation of the cancellation of payment. Click “Confirm” to cancel.
Follow the steps carefully to cancel the Venmo payment in review.
How to cancel Pending Payment on Venmo App?
Venmo has become a popular app with the passage of time and people use it for making payments online. People use Venmo for splitting payments for rent, food, and other items. There are times when you have made the payment but it is pending and now you want to cancel that pending payment. You can do so by following the below-given steps:
- Open the Venmo app, on your mobile phone, or desktop.
- Now, look for the three dots on the upper left-hand corner, you will see a red dot if there is any notification or a transaction is incomplete.
- Click “Incomplete” on the list, here you can see the pending payments that you have sent that are indicated by a number in the red circle.
- In the incomplete section, there are two options, that are payments and requests. Select “Payment”
- Here you can see the payment you have sent, phone number, and the amount.
- Tab “Take Back” near the payment.
- Once you click this the payment will turn grey in color and a message will display “You canceled this request”. When you will reopen the Venmo app the payment will disappear.
Cancel Venmo payment to an inactive account?
Venmo is a payment app that has made it easier to pay for numerous expenses. If going for dinner with friends, the payment gets split between friends with Venmo. In case you have made payment to the wrong account then it is your luck that the payment is made to an active or an inactive account.
To cancel a Venmo payment to an inactive account, follow the below-given steps:
- Open the Venmo app.
- Click on the “Menu” option that is on the right side of the web page.
- Click “Incomplete” in case you have sent the amount to an inactive account. You will see a small red dot that indicates that there is some notification.
- Click “Payments”
- Click “Take Back” and if you do not see this option on your Venmo account this indicates that you have sent money to an active account. In that case, you should contact “Customer Support” for assistance.
- Finally, the payment you made is canceled.
The payment gets canceled easily to an inactive account, in the case of an active account it cannot be reversed then, the option left is only a refund from the recipient.
How to cancel payment on Venmo app sent to wrong person?
One of the best methods to send a Venmo payment to a person is through contacts, phone number, Email, and username. By following this you will not send Venmo payment to the wrong person. In case you have sent payment to the wrong person, follow the following steps:
- Open the Venmo app, on your mobile phone, or desktop.
- Now, click on the draft icon where you will see a pen and dollar sign visible at the top right corner of the page.
- Enter the username to which you have accidentally sent the amount.
- Type the amount that you have sent to the person.
- A message is pop-up, Venmo suggesting to explain why you have accidentally sent the money to the wrong person.
- Click “Request” instead of “Pay”.
- Now, you will see a green message at the bottom of the screen for the confirmation of the request. Click “ Confirm”.
- In case you don’t receive money at that particular time. You can send a “Reminder” for the payment.
- For that click the three bars that are on the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click “Incomplete”
- In the request section you can see the incomplete requests, Click the “Blue Remind” button. After that, it will be changed to grey and will be visible as “Reminded”.
If you follow them carefully, then you can cancel a Venmo payment to the wrong person conveniently and without any delay.
Cancel payment someone sent you on Venmo
You cannot cancel a Venmo payment if someone has sent you by mistake. But definitely, you can pay back that person the amount you have received by multiple ways. There are two scenarios that are:
- You do not know the person: In this case, you cannot return the money on your own. Contact Venmo customer support that will assist you in returning back the money.
- You know that person: if you know the sender, then return the amount by your Venmo balance and in case you do not have sufficient balance then, choose other preferred payment methods to return the money.
How do I cancel Venmo payment request?
Everyone makes the mistake of making a wrong payment request when in hurry or even visualizing a wrong name. Whatever the matter there is a solution to every problem so let us see how you can cancel a Venmo payment request.
- At first, you ought to log in to your Venmo account.
- Now, click the dots that are visible on the top right corner and scroll down the menu.
- Find “Incomplete Payments” and click on that for getting all information about the payment requests that you have done.
- After you click incomplete, you can see two options there. One is requests and another one is payment.
- Click “Payments”, now you can see the last payment that you have made along with the user details that is username, phone number, and email address.
- Additionally, under the payment, you will see an option of “Withdraw” click on that.
- Within a few seconds, you will see that the payment has turned grey and a message has pop-up of “Cancelled the Request”.
If you will again open the Venmo app you will see that the Venmo payment request is canceled and is not there. The Venmo payment gets canceled only if it is not completed. Once the payment reaches the recipient the Venmo payments are not canceled.
How to Instantly cancel Venmo App payment you made?
Venmo is an instant payment application that is used by people to split the payment between them. It is a popular payment app. There are chances when you have sent the payment twice to a person and it may be done by mistake.
You cannot cancel a Venmo payment that you have made. Venmo sends the payment at that time only to the recipient.
If you want the payment to be returned then you have to contact the recipient and tell that person that you have made a wrong payment. Once the person has returned the money, you can keep it in your Venmo balance or return it to the bank account.
There are three ways Venmo can reverse the payment. These are:
- The recipient gives the permission
- Their account is in good standing
- The funds are still available in their Venmo account.
How to cancel a Venmo bank transfer?
Either connect the Venmo help desk or connect the individual requesting them to refund the money. If you have made a bank transfer even then you don’t have any other option to request back the payment.
Venmo App FAQ
Can Venmo payment be reversed?
No, you cannot reverse a Venmo payment once done. As Venmo sends the payment instantly to the recipient and does not take much time. But you can take the money back by asking the person that you have sent the money wrongly or you have done the payment twice, whatever the reason.
How do you cancel a transaction on Venmo?
To reverse a Venmo payment all you have to do is simply request the individual to whom you sent the amount. If the payment still pops up on your incomplete list you can take it back.
What to do if someone accidentally pays you on Venmo?
If someone pays you in Venmo accidentally, simply return the payment to them by paying them back.
Is there a way to cancel a Venmo transfer?
Yes, You can cancel a Venmo bank transfer if the transfer has not been completed yet. Venmo processes the transfer of money in batches. If your bank transfer is in one of the batches that have not been completed, then you can cancel the transfer. But in other cases, the payment has reached the person then you can ask for a refund.
Why can't you cancel a Venmo payment?
You cannot cancel a Venmo payment as they are instant payments and reach the recipient at that time only. You cannot cancel a payment once it has been sent. If you are lucky and Venmo sent money in batches, and your payment is not completed yet or the user is inactive on Venmo then you can cancel a Venmo payment.
What to do if someone accidentally pays you on Venmo?
If you receive money from a person who you do not recognize, you need to pay back the same amount to them instantly. You can contact the person and know if they really wanted to send you the money or if they have accidentally paid you. Then you need to be honest with your decision and pay back the same amount to them.
Raj Singh is a highly experienced digital marketer, SEO consultant, and content writer with over 8 years of experience in the industry.
As a content writer, Raj has a talent for crafting engaging and informative content that resonates with audiences. He has a keen eye for detail and a deep understanding of SEO best practices.
- Venmo Debit CardJanuary 2, 2024How to order new Venmo Debit card on the app (2024)?
- Venmo TutorialJanuary 1, 2024How to Open Venmo for Nonprofits Account (2024)?
- NewsDecember 27, 2023Game Preview: Texas State vs. Rice – Prediction and Expectations
- Venmo Credit CardDecember 22, 2023Venmo Credit Card Reviews  Is there any extra charges?